News

Mobile home skeptic survives SLAPP in the face

By Logan Jenkins in the U~T Times on August 1 2012

In my trade, I have a new North County hero.

Her name is Beatrice Nelson, an 89-year-old mother of four who’s lived in Oceanside for
64 years, the last 16 in the San Luis Rey Homes community.

Nelson, along with 327 others, owns a 1/328th interest in the senior mobile-home park. At
4-foot-10, she’s not imposing. But don’t let looks fool you. In her younger days, she was a
deputy marshal. For 16 years, she managed a condo project in Carlsbad.

Still, she may have missed her true calling.

“I would have loved to have been a newspaper reporter,” she told me Tuesday.

Well, she might have been a good one.

There’s an old saying in journalism: “If your mother says she loves you, check it out.”

Nelson insisted that something suspicious get checked out. And then she was sued for libel.

The story begins in 2010 when the mobile-home park’s board realized the infrastructure — gas,
water, electricity, sewer — was getting rickety. Everyone, including Nelson, knew work was needed.

“Against this backdrop, Mr. (Samuel) Rosen moved into the park in mid-2010 and, like the infamous
San Diego rainmaker, Charles Hatfield, managed to convince the worried membership that he could
make it rain government money to pay for the SLRH Revitalization Project ... for a fee, of course,”
Nelson’s attorney wrote in a filing.

With the board’s blessing, the charismatic Rosen and another resident, Phil Hauser, pursued a
strategy of obtaining grants to upgrade the park while collecting salaries, expenses.

Nelson wanted to know what qualified Rosen or Hauser to spearhead what could be a
multimillion-dollar project.

In a public statement of skepticism, Nelson posed the big question: “Who knows what the total
cost will be, and if we might be better off with bids from outside companies.”

To read entire article, go to U~T San Diego

SAN ONOFRE: Nuclear plant may restart by 2013

Article written by Michael R. Blood of the Associated Press, and published in the NC Times on July 31, 2012

LOS ANGELES ---- The operator of California's troubled San Onofre nuclear power plant told state
regulators the damaged reactors may restart by the end of the year, although federal regulators
insist there is no timeline.

Southern California Edison has planned a restart date before. In May, executives said they expected
to be back online in June. But the utility failed to persuade regulators it was ready, and the units
remain dark.

Now, according to documents obtained by the Associated Press filed to the California Public Utilities
Commission, Southern California Edison is planning to submit plans to restart Unit 2 on Nov. 18 and
Unit 3 on Dec. 31.

Edison spokeswoman Jennifer Manfre told the AP the dates were submitted to state power managers
for planning, and could be changed. The dates do not represent a request to restart either reactor, which
must be submitted to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Victor Dricks, a spokesman for the commission, said, "There is no timeline for restart."

The federal agency has detailed a series of steps the company must meet before it will consider allowing
the reactors, located north of Oceanside, to restart.

Company documents show that Edison informed the Public Utilities Commission staff of the "return to
service" dates in a July 23 briefing. The dates are required for planning by the agency that operates the
state's wholesale power system, the California Independent System Operator.

The inclusion of Unit 3 in the restart plans is also something of a surprise. Robert Weisenmiller, chairman
of the California Energy Commission and liaison to the NRC for Gov. Jerry Brown, said last month that he
thought Unit 3 could be offline well into next year.

On Tuesday, company officials are expected to release three months of financial and technical data on the
seaside plant, which could be a steppingstone to seeking NRC approval for a restart later this year. Company
officials have previously suggested one, or both, of the reactors could run at reduced power to reduce vibration
that has been damaging tubing that carries radioactive water.

To read entire article please go to:
http://www.nctimes.com/business/san-onofre-nuclear-plant-may-restart-by/...

Oceanside city council asked to continue breaks for developers

By Ray Huard in the NC Times dated July 29 2012

A program that gives Oceanside developers a break in paying city fees to stimulate construction
would be resumed under a proposal set for City Council review Wednesday.

Builders say the relief is needed to help lower financing costs. But critics say the city winds up
helping bankroll private construction projects.

Adopted by a 3-2 council vote in September 2009, the program allowed builders to delay paying
impact fees for up to a year for residential construction projects and for up to two years for
nonresidential projects.

The impact fees pay for road improvements and other city services needed as a result of the growth
that new projects bring.

In the past, developers had to pay the fees --- estimated to be about $50,000 for a typical single-family
house --- when they obtained construction permits.

Under the deferral program, they could put off paying the fees until a project is finished or for one or two
years, depending on which came first and the type of project.

To read entire article go to: North County Times

Oceanside extends fee deferrals for developers

Article written by Nathan Scharn in the U~T San Diego News on August 1, 2012

OCEANSIDE — Oceanside will extend a program intended to help stimulate construction in the
city as the weakened building industry crawls back from the slowdown caused by the recession,
the City Council decided at a meeting Wednesday.

Builders are required to pay development impact fees to help fund public infrastructure such as
oads and parks needed as new homes or commercial spaces emerge. Oceanside has for nearly
three years had a fee deferral program, which allows builders to hold off on paying the fees either
until final inspection or, for residential construction, one year after the fee postponement is approved.
Commercial construction has up to two years. Fees to cover staff time and those that are not within
the city’s control are not delayed.

The council voted 3-2 to extend the program until June 2014. Mayor Jim Wood and Councilwoman
Esther Sanchez dissented

to read entire article, please go to:
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/aug/01/oceanside-extends-fee-deferra...

New Oceanside skatepark may be on deck at Alex Road site

By Ray Huard in the NC Times on July 31, 2012

Oceanside city officials are looking to build a new skatepark that enthusiasts say would be
the envy of skateboarders across the country.

The park ---- proposed for a city-owned property at Alex Road at Foussat Road in northern
Oceanside ---- would include a huge bowl and ramps that would make it a draw for professional
skaters. The park would also include less challenging features for novice skaters.

The 22,700-square-foot skatepark would also have what skaters call a snake run and an area
that mimics street skating with banks, rails and ledges, said city project manager Nathan Mertz,
a former skateboarder.

The City Council is set to decide Wednesday on whether to move ahead with the skatepark and
accept a federal grant of $428,000 to help pay for the project, estimated to have a total cost of $850,000.

The Tony Hawk Foundation has contributed $25,000 and the rest of the money would come from
developer fees collected for park improvements, Mertz said.

To read the article please go to The North County Times

Oceanside seeks new advisory board member

Article written by Margaret Yau in the NC Times on July 26, 2012

Residents of Oceanside take note: there is a new opportunity to participate in local government
as the city wants a local business owner to join its newly formed Downtown Advisory Committee.

The committee will advise the Oceanside Community Development Commission and encourage
the downtown development.

The new member also will work with local business owners and developers by offering assistance
and support during the acquisition of business licenses.

Applications can be found online at www.ci.oceanside.ca.us or at the city clerk's office on
300 Coast Highway.

Though a deadline hasn't been specified, members of MainStreet Oceanside urge potential members
to submit applications as soon as possible. Applications will be kept on file for up to a year.

For more information, contact Kathy Brann at (760) 435-3547 or the city clerk's office at (760) 435-3000

Oceanside police pick up speed in water

article written by Nathan Scharn in the U~T San Diego News dated July 21, 2012

OCEANSIDE — Oceanside harbor authorities this year got a serious maritime upgrade. Docked
next to a vintage small fleet of red police boats is a sleek new black and white defender-class ship
with three bulky outboard engines and a covered cockpit.

For the Harbor Unit of the Oceanside Police Department, which typically responds to calls off the
coast stretching from Mission Bay to the south and Dana Point to the north, the powerful vessel
fills a niche. Authorities can get around twice as fast, perform more comfortably in bad weather and
work more efficiently in the dark because of the closed cabin and infrared.

“It just expands our horizons,” said Sgt. Jeff Brandt. “We went from limited capabilities on any offshore
esponse to the sky is the limit right now.”

The Oceanside Police Department in 2010 was awarded a nearly $737,000 grant through the county
rom the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as part of Operation Stonegarden, which aims to improve
border security and enhance cooperation between local, state and federal law enforcement agencies.

to read the entire article, go to: U~T San Diego

Oceanside reviewing proposals to redevelop Goat Hill golf course

article written by Ray Huard in the NC Times, dated July 21, 2012

Oceanside officials have gotten four proposals to redevelop a city golf course and
adjacent city-owned land, but two of the plans would require voter approval because
they would turn the site into something that's not purely recreational.

All four proposals include some recreational uses, but two also would include a hotel,
office and retail space and some housing. The two other proposals would keep the
site a golf course.

Mayor Jim Wood said Thursday that he will call for a special City Council workshop in
August to review the proposals that would remake the 76-acre Center City Golf Course ----
nicknamed Goat Hill because of its hilly terrain.

The golf course is off Greenbriar Drive, just north of Oceanside Boulevard and east of Interstate 5.

"I'd certainly like to see something there, other than the golf course that loses money,"
Wood said. "On the other hand, we have to be careful on what can be there."

To read the full article please go to:
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oceanside/article_e2f683c0-fe7b-5f95-b...

Oceanside publishes draft housing plans

Article written by Nathan Scharn on July 22, 2012 in the U~T San Diego News

OCEANSIDE — Oceanside has published a draft of a planning document, called
a housing element, that will eventually guide future residential development — especially
affordable housing — in the city.

A draft copy of the housing element can be viewed on the city’s website, www.ci.oceanside.ca.us.
The document identifies properties in the city where more housing could be built, said Senior
Planner Russ Cunningham.

It will be discussed at upcoming city advisory meetings, first at an Oceanside Planning
Commission meeting at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 13 and again at a Housing Commission meeting
at 6:15 p.m. Aug. 14. Both meetings are scheduled to be held in the City Council Chambers,
at 300 N. Coast Highway.

City officials will take comments from the public and advisory board members at the meetings
before eventually presenting the updated document to the City Council for adoption.

Neighborhood activist amont those making council bid

article written by Ray Huard in the NC Times, dated July 20, 2012

Jeffries Ranch resident Dana Corso took out papers Friday to run for a seat on the Oceanside
City Council, which she has often battled as the head of an umbrella organization of
neighborhood groups.

"I want the voices of the people to be heard," said Corso, president of Alliance of Citizens
To Improve Oceanside Neighborhoods (ACTION).

Corso, 47, said the three-member council majority is "listening to the developers and the
builders and special interest groups and certainly not the taxpayers and citizens of Oceanside."

Also taking out papers Friday to run for one of two council seats up for election in November
was former Marine Corps drill instructor Chip Dykes, 48.

Dykes announced his candidacy in June, saying he would push for public/private partnerships
and a long-term approach to city budgeting.

Incumbent Councilwoman Esther Sanchez also took out papers to run for re-election, said
Assistant City Clerk Holly Trobaugh.

Incumbent Councilman Jack Feller, whose term is up in November, has said he will run for
re-election but has not taken out nominating papers.

To read the entire article, please go to:
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/oceanside/article_d77cad16-24d3-5d19-b...

Pages

Subscribe to News